From finding peace and solitude to combating negative energy, there a number of different uses for palo santo essential oil. We believe using this uplifting oil for healing and purifying to be a powerful experience. However, similar to smudging with palo santo wood chips, there’s a wealth of information for you to know and understand, and this is your helpful guide.
HISTORY OF PALO SANTO
Known as “holy wood” or “sacred wood”, the history of palo santo wood is ancient, and can be traced back to the time of the Incan Empire. Grown in tropical dry forests of Ecuador, Mexico and the Yucatán Peninsula in Peru, the healing properties of palo santo wood and oils are powerful. The wood was known to be used by the Shamans, also referred to as medicine men, to purify and clear negative energy, treat pain and calm bronchial conditions.
Today, the advantages from palo santo are so well-known that the trees are grown and collected with the purpose of being bottled into an essential oil to contribute to lives well lived.
BENEFITS TO USING PALO SANTO ESSENTIAL OIL
In the modern day world, this wondrous wood is still used for healing in the same ways the medicine men once practiced, but now there are so many more in-depth benefits to using the essential oil derived from palo santo. Often, people use palo santo essential oil for clearing evil spirits, finding emotional clarity, and aiding in minor to serious medical conditions.
COMMON PALO SANTO ESSENTIAL OIL USES
From natural bug spray repellant to a reliable household cleaner (smells beautiful!), the unique ways people are using the oil from this holy wood can often be surprising. Below, you’ll find a list of some of the different ways people turn to palo santo essential oil for help.
- Enhances creativity
- A meditation tool
- Additive to massage oils
- Helps to calm, ground, and settle
- Spiritually uplifting
- Improves immune system
- Relieves inflammation and pain
- Supports a healthy nervous system
- Reduces panic, anxiety, and insomnia
- Lessens allergy symptoms
HOW TO USE IT
Depending on what we’re using the oil for, we’ll sometimes add palo santo essential oil to a diffuser to help purify and uplift the energy of a room. Other times, we’ll apply the oil directly to our temples, soles of our feet, our heart and the nape of our neck while meditating.
For a beautiful and calming woodsy scent, try applying a few drops to your everyday lotion or using it as a massage oil. Another common way people use the sacred wood oil is through direct inhalation. All you have to do is put a drop in your palms, rub them together, and deeply inhale.
Palo santo essential oil works beautifully by itself or mixed with other essential oils like Frankincense, Cedarwood, Lemon, and Myrrh.
1. Homemade Frankincense and Myrrh Body Lotion with Palo Santo
This recipe was found on Draxe. It’s a hydrating and protective body lotion that gives off the most calming scent when applied. Not to mention, it fills your skin with vitamins and nutrients. Try this recipe for yourself and see how much you love it!
Total Time: 90 minutes
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 1/4 Cup Coconut Oil
- 1/4 Cup Beeswax
- 1/4 Cup Shea Butter
- 2 Tablespoons Vitamin E
- 10 Drops Palo Santo Essential Oil
- 20 Drops Frankincense Essential Oil
- 10 Drops Myrrh Essential Oil
- Glass Dispenser Bottles
- Place the Shea butter, beeswax, coconut oil, and olive oil in a glass bowl. Then, fill up a saucepan with water, and place the glass bowl in the saucepan.
- Heat the stove to medium and mix the ingredients together.
- Once the ingredients have been properly mixed, put the bowl in the refrigerator for an hour until the mixture is solid.
- With a mixer, beat the blend together until it’s whipped and fluffy.
- Add the essential oils, vitamin E. Stir until well combined.
- Fill a container, store in a cool place, and enjoy your new body lotion!
2. Anti-Anxiety Bath Blend
This recipe was found on The Aroma Blog, which you should really check out. Their site has tons of different palo santo essential oil recipes for different ailments. We’ve chosen to highlight their anti-anxiety blend for this article because anxiety is a serious struggle for so many people, so we thought this would be a good recipe to focus on.
- ¼ Cup Epson Salts
- 4 drops of Palo Santo Essential oil
- 4 drops of Lavender Essential oil
- 2 drops of Mandarin Essential oil
- Mix your oils with the Epson salts.
- Fill up a tub of warm or hot water. Add the oil and salt mixture to the bath.
- Allow yourself to relax in the tub and feel the calming properties of your anti-anxiety blend overcome you.
3. Grounding Blend
Again, this recipe was found on The Aroma Blog and is a wonderful solution to overcoming distraction when you need to be more practical.
- 1oz. Bottle Jojoba Oil
- 5 drops Cedarwood Atlas Essential Oil
- 4 Drops Palo Santo Essential Oil
- 1 Drop Patchouli Essential Oil
- 5 Drops Bergamot Essential Oil
- In the bottle of Jojoba oil, add the Cedarwood Atlas essential oil, Palo Santo essential oil, Patchouli essential oil, and Bergamot essential oil. Mix together.
- Before going to sleep, apply two drops of the oil mixture to the palm of your hands. Rub your palms together, close your eyes.
- Take a deep breath, and actually visualize yourself being rooted and nourished by Mother Earth. This should contribute to the feelings of stability and strength.
- Open your eyes, put more oil on your fingertips and massage your lower back and soles of your feet.
Palo Santo is a precious resource and one that contributes to so many benefits for plenty of people. If you have questions about the different ways you can incorporate palo santo in your life, let us know because we love explaining it. You can find a general guide on palo santo, and you can shop wholesale palo santo as well.